Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 28th Update



This weird looking grass was underneath bags of Aluminum cans we hauled off. It looks like maybe the image should be turned the other way, but this is correct. Sorta looks like a bad psychedelic Elvis 'do.



We have lived in this house since last May, so this is the first year I have really taken notice of the vegetation. One of the trees to the side of our house has these odd buds. The following is a closer up view.




I was curious and dug into the potatoes to see if they were doing 'OK'. The first one I saw had a few white rice like items on them. Sadly they were not roots, but were maggots. I know, shudder* But the next one I saw did have roots growing, so this is good. But now I know to expect to loose at least part of the crop.

I figure it is in big part because it has been VERY wet the past 7-10 days.

Also found a few worms, so this is good!



Proof that my green peppers are sprouting :0) Even though this was taken only two days ago they are 2-3 times this size today.



The lone lilac I brought into the house. Husband is 'allergic' so I tucked this one away in my office. Let's see if he notices lol.



More Lilacs, this bush is HUGE. I am not exaggerating, it has to be at least 15-20 feet wide. needs cut back but will wait until Fall.



More Lilacs again, purrrrdddyyy.



First sign that the green beans are doing well.



No sign of the spinach yet, so keeping fingers crossed.

------

Husband (Jim) cut the lawn for the first time this season today. Gathered up enough clippings for a good start on my compost pile. Now I just need to figure out where I will throw something together to keep it.


So there you have it. This is what has been going on in the garden front so far. More items will be added to the garden plot in the coming weeks. So if anyone has any tips or ideas let me know!

No comments: